Gravatar on WordPress: why and how to use it?
Gravatar is a service that allows you to create a unique avatar, which will be displayed on all your online profiles, including when you publish on WordPress.
Want to be easily identifiable when you publish content? Want to add professionalism to your site? Then creating a Gravatar could be for you.
To convince you, we will explain everything about this service and you will see that at the end of this article you will rush to design your own.
- Gravatar allows you to create a custom avatar that you can display on your WordPress website and on several compatible platforms (Pinterest, blogs…) when you post content.
- This service offers a lot of benefits for you and your contacts.
- Using all the features offered by the platform allows you to optimize your Gravatar profile.
Gravatar: what is it?
Gravatar is a service that links an email address and an avatar (a small profile picture).
When Gravatar is activated on a website, all comments or messages you post are linked to your Gravatar.
This is a great way to increase your reputation over time, as people will recognize your Gravatar wherever it appears. But that’s not the only reason to design one.
5 reasons to use Gravatar on your WordPress site
Are you hesitating to use a Gravatar on your WordPress site? Well, you really should because:
- It adds professionalism to your site: Having a Gravatar with images, your name and all the information about you makes your WordPress site look professional. People can easily identify you and have access to all your profiles (blogs, Pinterest, email…). This encourages them to take you seriously and to engage.
- It helps you connect: Gravatar allows you to connect with other users. This can be useful if you’re looking to network or promote yourself online.
- It increases the visibility of your user profile: This service is used by millions of people. When Gravatar is enabled, your avatar appears not only on your own website, but also on other sites that use Gravatar, such as forums and social networks.
- It makes it easy to identify the authors of a content: By using Gravatars, readers will easily recognize the user behind a blog post, review or comment.
- It increases your community engagement: Gravatars allow you to offer a more personalized experience for users, which can lead to a higher engagement rate of your community.
Are you fully convinced of the usefulness of Gravatar? Then let’s see how to create an account right away.
How to create a gravatar account?
Creating a Gravatar account is quite simple. You have to:
- Go to the Gravatar website.
- Click on the “Create a Gravatar” or “Sign up” button at the top right of the page and follow the instructions.
- Enter a valid email address and choose a password for your account.
- You will then receive a confirmation email at the email address you provided.
- Click on the link in the email to confirm your email address and complete your account creation.
Once your account is created, you can upload an image for your profile and associate it with your email address. You can also configure other settings for your account, such as privacy and email notifications. But let’s take a closer look at all this.
How to set up Gravatar on WordPress?
To configure Gravatar on WordPress you need to:
- Upload an image that you want to use as your profile picture.
- Go to the “Settings” of your WordPress account and click on the “Discussions” tab to link your email address to your Gravatar account.
- In this tab, you should see an option for “Avatar“.
- Click on the “View Avatars” option and select “Gravatar” from the list of available avatar services.
- Save the changes.
That’s it! Normally your Gravatar image should be automatically displayed when you comment on a WordPress blog without the need of any additional plugin.
You see, it’s not complicated at all!
So, having a Gravatar is good, but having a great Gravatar is better. Debugbar will give you 6 tips for great Gravatars.
The 6 tips for creating a top Gravatar profile
To create a quality Gravatar profile, you just have to apply these tips.
- Choose an eye-catching image: Gravatar allows you to upload a profile picture. So make sure you choose one that is memorable and unique.
- Add your website link: Adding a link to your website will allow you to showcase your work or portfolio.
- Use relevant keywords: You can add keywords in the “About Me” section. Be sure to use relevant words related to your field of work or interests, which will help people find you more easily online
- Connect with other users: The Gravatar service allows you to connect with other people by sending them “friend requests” or subscribing to their Gravatar page. This will help increase your visibility and can also help you find new opportunities.
- Customize your profile: Gravatar gives you the ability to customize the look and feel of your Gravatar profile by adding custom backgrounds, fonts and colors.
- Update it regularly: Be sure to update your Gravatar profile and regularly post content, such as blog posts or photos, so that people know what you’re doing and stay engaged with the content you post online.
Gravatar for WordPress: what to remember
As you can see, Gravatar is a free service that allows users to manage their avatars on the web. This can be really useful if you publish a lot of stuff or if you want to be easily identified by your readers.
- This service is most often used on WordPress websites, where it can be easily linked to an email address and automatically displayed when the user comments on a blog post.
- When you have a Gravatar account you don’t have to use a plugin to manage your avatars on your WordPress website.
- Gravatar offers many customization options, so you can enhance your profile and reflect your personality.
- For creating a great Gravatar profile choose an eye-catching image and add your website link.
- Finally, don’t forget to update your profile regularly.